Salva Kiir Mayardit (2011)
Taban Deng Gai (2016)
James Wani Igga (2016)
Leader of the Opposition
N/A Government of National Unity in place
Main Political Parties
- African People’s Progressive Alliance
- Labour Party South Sudan – LPSS
- South Sudan Democratic Forum
- South Sudan Liberal Party
- Sudan African National Union
- Sudan People’s Liberation Movement – Democratic Change.
- Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM)
- United Democratic Front
A presidential federal republic. Government of National Unity formed as part of the peace agreement that ended the civil war of 2013-2015. However, there was renewed fighting in July 2016 and Dr. Riek Machar Teny Durgon, the first Vice-President fled the capital. He was fired when he refused to return to Juba.