Paul Kagame (2017)
Edouard Ngirente (2017)
Rwanda is a unitary presidential republic with three arms of government.
The Executive is headed by the president. The prime minister and cabinet ministers are appointed by the president.
The National Legislature consists of:
- The Chamber of Deputies of 53 directly elected members and 27 indirectly elected by representatives of special interest groups;
- The Senate with 16 indirectly elected members and 8 appointed by the president.
Main Political Parties
- Centrist Democratic Party (PDC)– Agnes MUKABARANGA
- Democratic Green Party of Rwanda (DGPR) – Frank HABINEZA
- Democratic Popular Union of Rwanda (UDPR)- Gonzague RWIGEMA
- Liberal Party (PL)- Donatille MUKABALISA
- Party for Progress and Concord (PPC)- Alivera MUKABARAMBA
- Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF)- Paul KAGAME
The Judiciary, headed by the Chief Justice, is the third arm of government.
The Rwanda Constitution was promulgated in 2003 and amended in 2015.